SCORE: DePauw 6, Earlham 2
LOCATION: Greencastle, Ind. (Walker Field)
RECORDS: Earlham 15-17, / DePauw 20-11
THE SHORT STORY: The Earlham College baseball team managed just four hits off seven different DePauw University pitchers fell to the host Tigers, 6-2, on Tuesday afternoon in Greencastle, Ind.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- DePauw held a 3-0 lead after three innings, after manufacturing a pair of runs in the second inning and a single run in the third.
- Earlham got back to within one, 3-2, after plating a pair of runs in the top of the fourth. Marc Gendreau reached on a leadoff single, advanced to third on a base hit by Isaiah Shake, and scored on Austin Hatfield's sacrifice fly to right field. Shake crossed later in the frame on Addison Robertson's ground out to second.
- The Tigers extended their lead to 4-2 with an unearned run in the bottom of the fourth and tacked on additional single runs in the seventh and the eighth for a 6-2 score.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The top half of the batting order accounted for all four Earlham hits, all of which were singles.
- Starter Aidan Talarek took the loss after going 6.0 innings on the mound, scattering six hits and allowing three earned runs with four strikeouts. Zach Brake, Tyler Netzley, and Joey Gerbus all finished out the game for the Quakers.
- DePauw tallied nine hits, led by Noah Salasky and Evan Barnes with two hits each.
- Tuesday's game was a staff day for the DePauw pitching staff, with starter Spencer Youngcourt getting the win for his three-inning effort on the hill.
Earlham baseball is back at Sadler Stadium for another single game tomorrow – Wednesday, April 24 – when the Quakers host Adrian College. First pitch is slated for 5:00 p.m.