TOURNAMENT: 2019 Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference Men's Golf Championship
LOCATION: Lexington, Ky. (The University Club)
COURSE INFO: Par 72, 6906 Yards
EARLHAM TEAM PLACE: 2nd of 10 teams (618, +42) after 36 holes
TOP QUAKER: T-3rd– Garrett Schuler, 149 (+5)
THE SHORT STORY: Sophomore Garrett Schuler remained the top Earlham College golfer on the individual leaderboard following Sunday's second round of the 2019 Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference Men's Golf Championship, at The University Club in Lexington, Ky. Schuler led an Earlham squad that has a 618 through the first two rounds of the 2019 championship – four strokes ahead of third-place Hanover College, and 28 strokes behind tournament leader Transylvania University.
OFF THE TEE
- Schuler recorded birdies on the par 5 no. 5 and the par 4 no. 9, but balanced that out against three bogeys and a triple-bogey on no. 8. He recovered to shoot par on the first five holes of the back nine on his his way to an eight-over 80 on the day, giving him a 149 (+5) through 36 holes.
- Junior Graham Sherard cracked the top 10 on day two of the HCAC championship thanks to his three-over 75 in Sunday's round giving him a 153 (+9) through 36 holes and allowing him to jump five spots on the leaderboard.
- Junior Nate Mynatt slipped six spots down to 16th after firing a 81 on Sunday, giving him a 155 (+11) over the first two rounds. The highlight of his round was an eagle on the par 5 no. 16 hole, giving Mynatt a three-over 39 on the back nine.
- First-year Jared Stone jumped six spots up to a tie for 20th on Sunday with a 162 (+18) for the tournament. He carded an eight-over 80 in Sunday's round, making par on 13 of 18 holes.
- Sophomore Josh Maclin finished the day with an 88 (+16) to give him a 169 (+25) for the tournament.
The 2019 HCAC Men's Golf Championship switches to the Anderson Country Club in Anderson, Ind., for rounds three and four on Saturday, May 4, and Sunday, May 5.