FINAL SCORE: Wilmington (Ohio) 14, Earlham 8
LOCATION: Wilmington, Ohio (Williams Stadium)
RECORDS: Earlham 1-1, Wilmington (Ohio) 1-2
THE SHORT STORY: A four-goal performance from junior Joel Dominguez left the Earlham College men's lacrosse team short of the mark in a 14-8 loss to host Wilmington College (Ohio), on Saturday afternoon at Williams Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Wilmington scored four-in-a-row to open the contest, before junior Cole Burrell's unassisted strike in the waning seconds of the opening quarter got the Indiana Quakers on the scoreboard.
- Earlham rallied with four goals in the second quarter, with two by first year Blake Francis and two from Dominguez, and tied things up at 5-5 heading into the halftime break.
- Another four-goal run to start the third quarter, including back-to-back goals by Connor Judge just 12 seconds apart, put Wilmington back into the lead, 9-5. Dominguez and first year Keith Coleman Jr. added one goal each for the Quakers, and Earlham trailed 10-7 after 45 minutes.
- Wilmington scored the first four goals of the fourth quarter to take a commanding 14-7 lead, with Dominguez scoring an extra-man goal with 4:36 remaining for the 14-8 final score.
- Blake Francis finished with two goals and one assist on eight shots. Sophomore Anthony Boutwell charted three assists in the loss.
- First year goalie Josh Perkins recorded 18 saves in the Earlham cage, while Wilmington goalie Reed Beavers tallied five stops.
- Wilmington outshot Earlham, 50-22, and had a 36-23 advantage in ground balls.
- Connor Judge finished with seven goals and two assists for Wilmington, with Parker Blumberg chipping in with three goals and two assists.
Earlham men's lacrosse makes its 2019 home debut on Wednesday, March 6, when it hosts Marietta College. Game time at Darrell Beane Stadium is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.