MEET: 2019 Indiana Division III Championship
LOCATION: Greencastle, Ind. (DePauw Univ.-Blackstock Stadium)
WOMEN'S FINISH: Third of eight teams, 99 points
THE SHORT STORY: Earlham College women's track and field picked up points in 12 different events, posted three first-place finishes, and set two Earlham records during Saturday's 2019 Indiana D-III Championship meet, held at DePauw University.
ON THE TRACK
- Earlham senior Aishat Sadiq helped earn a total of 36 points for the Quakers with a pair of first-place results and two other finishes in the points. Sadiq won both the 100m (12.24 seconds) and the 200m (25.35 seconds) – both in meet record times. Her 100m time also keeps her atop the Great Lakes Region performance list, while her 200m time is second in the Region. Sadiq also ran the anchor leg for Earlham's second-place team in the 4x100m relay, which posted an Earlham record time of 49.63 seconds. Finally, she earned eight points with a second-place finish in the long jump with a leap of 16-3 1/4 (4.96m).
- Sophomore Leilah Hicks was second in the 200m (25.91 seconds) and fourth in the 100m (12.82), and ran in both the 4x100m and 4x400m relay teams for the Quakers which won eight and five points respectively.
- Sophomore Ellie Haland also captured a first-place finish for the Quakers when she won the 3000m steeplechase with an Earlham record time of 11:22.67. Haland earned an additional eight points for Earlham in the 800m run when she finished second overall (2:19.85).
- Sophomore Hailey Beel took fifth in the 400m dash (1:04.95), while first years Tsitsi Makufa and Dorothy Ocran-Sarsah finished seventh (1:07.33) and eighth (1:09.71) respectively.
- In the 10,000m run, junior Shabham Fayyaz and first year Krishna Cousins combined to pick up 11 points for the Quakers. Fayyaz was third (46:11.52) while Cousins was fourth (47:49.16).
- First year Remy Haggerty finished seventh in the 5000m run, hitting the finish line in 19:28.90.
- First year Sarah Dickman was eighth in the 100m hurdles, posting a time of 18.02 seconds.
- Junior Esther Mano was third in the triple jump with a best effort of 31-10 1/4 (9.71m).
The Earlham track and field teams will compete at the Mount St. Joseph Invitational next Saturday, April 20, in Cincinnati, Ohio. The meet will serve as the Quakers' final tune-up before the 2019 HCAC Outdoor Track and Field Championships on Friday, April 26, and Saturday, April 27, hosted by Mount St. Joseph University.