SCORE: G1- Earlham 9, Defiance 6 / G2- Earlham 7, Defiance 4
LOCATION: Richmond, Ind. (Sadler Stadium)
RECORDS: Earlham 13-14, 5-5 HCAC / Defiance 13-10-1, 3-5 HCAC
THE SHORT STORY: Earlham College baseball outslugged visiting Defiance College in game one and outlasted the Yellow Jackets in game two and completed a sweep over their Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference rivals, 9-6 and 7-4, in a conference doubleheader on Saturday at Sadler Stadium.
GAME 1 - HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Earlham plated four runs on five hits in the first inning, including an RBI double by Austin Hatfield and a two-run triple by Isaiah Shake into right-center field. Andrew McFadden singled home Shake later in the frame.
- After a single run by Defiance in the top of the second, Earlham put up three more runs in the second to extend its lead to 7-1. Hatfield keyed the frame with a two-run home run to right field for his first collegiate round-tripper.
- Defiance got two runs back in the top of the third on Troy Konwinski's two-run double down the right field line.
- The Quakers tacked on a single run in the bottom of the seventh to push their lead to 8-3, before the Yellow Jackets rallied with a three-run uprising in the top of the eighth. Jude Neary laced a double into center field for one Defiance run, followed by a Michael Reese double to right that brought home two more Yellow Jacket runs.
- Cameron Wissel doubled home Shake to give the Quakers a 9-6 lead, after Shake got aboard with a leadoff single.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Earlham pounded the Defiance pitching staff for 15 hits, led by Dopp, Hatfield, and Shake with three runs hits each. Hatfield had a team-high three RBI for the Quakers.
- Starter Walter Talcott picked up the win after lasting seven innings on the mound, allowing one earned run on four hits with four strikeouts. Joey Gerbus earned the save after pitching the ninth inning for the Quakers.
GAME 2 - HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Earlham piled up six runs in the bottom of the first inning in game two, with Andrew Bradley plating three runs on his double to right-center.
- Danny Dopp's solo home run to left field in the bottom of the second extended Earlham's lead top 7-1.
- Defiance trimmed the lead to 7-2 in the top of the seventh, taking advantage of a two-out throwing error to score Grant Vickery.
- A messy Defiance 8th inning put two more runs in the Yellow Jackets' half of the scoreboard, cutting the Earlham lead to 7-4. Two singles around a Defiance walk loaded up the bases with none out, with the two runs eventually crossing on a grounder to short and single to right field. Reliever Jordan Christian fanned Lucas Thomeier for the second Yellow Jacket out of the inning, and Aidan Talarek induced a grounder to the pitcher which resulted in a 1-2 putout to get the Quakers out of the frame with three Defiance runners stranded.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Andrew Bradley finished the game 2-for-4 with a double and three runs batted in, with five different players accounting for Earlham's remaining five hits.
- Spencer Owen got the start and recorded a season-high eight strikeouts in the win. He scattered four hits with three walks while allowing just one earned run over his 7.0 innings of work, improving his record to 2-1. Reliever Joey Gerbus picked up his second save of the day after coming on in the ninth and retiring the Yellow Jackets in order.
Earlham baseball is on the road for its next HCAC doubleheader when it travels to Cincinnati, Ohio, to face Mount St. Joseph on Tuesday, April 16. Start time for the twinbill is 4:00 p.m.