SCORE: Adrian 6, Earlham 3
LOCATION: Richmond, Ind. (Sadler Stadium)
RECORDS: Earlham 15-18, / Adrian 25-6
THE SHORT STORY: Earlham College was unable to capitalize on situations when runners were on base and fell to visiting Adrian College, 6-3, on Wednesday afternoon at Sadler Stadium. The Quakers were 1-for-17 with runners in scoring position and finished the game with 11 runners left on base in the non-conference loss.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Adrian got on the scoreboard in the top of the third inning, when Brandon Cooper's single into center field plated a pair of runs.
- The Bulldogs extended their lead to 3-0 in the top of the fourth, and made it 5-0 after four-and-a-half with two more runs in the top of the fifth on two hits, a hit-by-pitch, and a fielder's choice ground out.
- Earlham cut the margin to 5-2 in the bottom of the fifth with two runs. Marc Gendreau singled home Devin Basley, and Addison Robertson's grounder to short allowed Zach Swearingen to scamper home from third.
- Each team added one run in the eighth, advancing the score to 6-3. Adrian brought home additional run when Dugan Darnell reached on a leadoff double, and scored on a sacrifice bunt and throwing error on the Earlham catcher. Earlham tacked on its run in much the same way in the bottom of the frame, with Robby Shondel getting aboard with a double, and scoring on an error by the Adrian second baseman.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Robby Shondel led Earlham with a 3-for-4 effort at the plate with one run scored. Marc Gendreau and Addison Robertson each had one hit and one RBI. The Quakers had 10 strikeouts against eight hits, but also stranded 11 base runners.
- Earlham starter Kyle Gorman lasted six innings on the mound and allowed four earned runs on seven hits. Domanick Michael came on and finished out the final three innings, scattering two hits with three strikeouts.
- Gunner Rainey and Sean O'Keefe each had two hits for the Bulldogs.
Earlham baseball closes out the home portion of its 2019 slate on Saturday, April 27, when the Quakers host Anderson University in a Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference series. First pitch of game one of the doubleheader is slated for 12:00 p.m.