Men’s basketball falls to Manchester in Monday night HCAC clash

Darrell Hutchison Jr. action photo

NORTH MANCHESTER, IND. – A 20-point night from senior forward Darrell Hutchison Jr. and a 47 percent shooting performance from the floor were not enough to overcome a hot-shooting Manchester University squad, and Earlham College men's basketball dropped an 83-71 loss to the Spartans in a Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference contest on Monday night at Stauffer-Wolfe Arena.

The game was a make-up from the originally scheduled game on January 19, 2019, which was postponed due to inclement weather and poor travel conditions.

Hutchison, the lone Quaker in double figures, shot 7-of-12 from the field and was 6-of-7 at the free-throw line on his way to a second-straight outing with 20-or-more points. The 20-point effort was Hutchison's third of the season and the 11th of his career.

Junior guard Blake Bonin was next among scoring leaders with nine points, while Jamel Barnes had seven points to go with seven assists. First year forward Elijah Galloway hauled down six rebounds to lead Earlham on the boards.

Manchester (9-10, 6-6 HCAC) finished the night with four players in double figures, led by Adrian Johnson with 20 points. The Spartans shot at a 54.9 percent clip (28-of-51) against the Quakers, well above their season field goal percentage of 44.6 percent.

The Spartans outworked the Quakers on the glass, 37 to 24, with Manchester's 12-8 advantage on the offensive boards converting to a 12-0 edge in second-chance points. Manchester also took advantage of Earlham's 24 fouls with a 22-of-31 (.710) ledger at the free-throw line. The Quakers charted a 13-of-17 free-throw percentage on Manchester's 19 fouls.

The two teams also combined for 48 turnovers.

In the first half, Manchester opened the game on a 10-0 run lasting nearly three-and-a-half minutes, before Earlham got on the scoreboard courtesy a Stalling jumper.

The Quakers cut the margin to five points, 14-9, with 11:41 remaining in the half after a pair of buckets from first year center Conner Hubbard, but a 13-2 run from the Spartans put Manchester back in front, 27-11, as the clock passed under the seven-minute mark. Manchester held its double-digit lead for the remainder of the frame, taking 42-28 lead into the locker room at halftime.

Earlham cut Manchester's lead to single digits on multiple occasions in the second half, and got to within six, 62-56, at the 8:07 mark following a Qawi Rucker dunk and a pair of Hutchison foul shots. The Spartans answered with a 5-0 run to get their lead back into double figures, and held off all Earlham rally efforts the rest of the way.

Earlham men's basketball returns to action on Wednesday, Jan. 30, when it hosts Transylvania University (11-8, 8-4 HCAC). Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. at the Druley Performance Gym.

Tigers squeeze by Quakers
December 17, 2018 Tigers squeeze by Quakers