FINAL SCORE: Marietta 22, Earlham 7
LOCATION: Richmond, Ind. (Darrell Beane Stadium)
RECORDS: Earlham 3-11 / Marietta 5-9
THE SHORT STORY: Visiting Marietta College outscored Earlham College men's lacrosse 12-2 in the second half alone and recorded a 22-7 win over the Quakers, in a non-conference contest on Monday night at Darrell Beane Stadium. Earlham was tied through 15 minutes and was within striking distance of the Pioneers at the halftime break, but Marietta's offensive intensity in the second half was too much for the Quakers.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Quakers and the Pioneers were tied 3-3 at the end of the first quarter after a see-saw opening 15 minutes. Blake Francis and Anthony Boutwell each scored early to give Earlham a 2-0 lead with 7:04 remaining in the opening period, but Marietta rallied to tied things up. Francis struck again for the Quakers to give the Maroon and White a 3-2 lead, but the Pioneers' Chad Stowell found the equalizer with three seconds remaining in the period.
- Marietta scored twice in an 11-second span to take a 5-3 advantage, forcing Earlham to call timeout. Boutwell scored an unassisted goal for the Quakers, trimming the lead to 5-4, but the Pioneers answered with goals from Quinn Rundgren and Stowell to take a 7-4 lead. Earlham's Francis narrowed the margin to 7-5 off a pass from Boutwell.
- Marietta logged four straight goals to open the third quarter to stretch the Pioneers' lead to 14-5, before Earlham interrupted the run with a score by Keith Coleman Jr. The Pioneers tacked on five more goals before the end of the frame, and were up 19-6 after 45 minutes of play.
- The Pioneers outscored the Quakers, 3-1, in the final quarter, with Cole Burrell going coast-to-coast for Earlham's lone goal of the frame.
- Blake Francis finished the game with three goals for Earlham, while Anthony Boutwell charted two goals and three assists. Cole Burrell and Keith Coleman Jr. each had one goal.
- Josh Perkins played nearly 45 minutes in the Earlham goal and recorded 11 saves, while Blake Francis finished out the contest and was credited with four stops.
- Chad Stowell tallied eight goals for Marietta, while Quinn Rundgren and Connor Ficke each had five goals.
- Marietta outshot Earlham, 53-21, and the Pioneers had 47 ground balls to the Quakers' 24.
Earlham men's lacrosse concludes its 2019 regular season on Saturday, April 20, when it hosts Anderson University in a Heartland Collegiate Lacrosse Conference matchup. Game time is slated for 1:00 p.m.