FINAL SCORE: Earlham 16, Muskingum 4
LOCATION: Richmond, Ind. (Darrell Beane Stadium)
RECORDS: Earlham 2-0, Muskingum 0-2
THE SHORT STORY: First year midfielder Claudette Roskamp charted seven goals to lead Earlham College women's lacrosse past Muskingum University, 16-4, giving the Quakers their second straight victory to open the 2019 season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Earlham rattled off nine straight goals to open the contest – five of those by Roskamp – to effectively put the game out of reach early with a 9-0 lead, with 5:36 remaining in the first half.
- Muskingum's Breanna Bailey broke Earlham's scoring streak with her unassisted goal at the 4:56 mark of the opening half.
- The Quakers held a 12-1 lead at the intermission. Junior midfielder Emma Lady scored three goals in the opening half, while first year middie Meg Murphy notched two scores and first years Serena Pisacano and Maya Claggett each recorded one goal.
- Earlham sophomore Krista Kirk scored just over two minutes into the second half, launching a four-goal run for the Quakers.
- Roskamp tacked on two more insurance goal and Lady added her fourth marker of the night, extending Earlham's lead to 16-1 with 21:26 showing on the game clock.
- The Fighting Muskies closed out the game with three straight goals – two by Courtney Hines, and one by Dani Crisp.
- Earlham goalie Becca Belcher recorded four saves over her 60 minutes in goal. Muskingum goalie Sam Stafford charted 13 saves.
- The Quakers outshot the Fighting Muskies, 33-10. Earlham was 4-of-8 on its free-position attempts while Muskingum was 0-of-3.
- The win was Earlham's fifth-straight victory dating back to last season, when the Quakers closed out the 2018 campaign with wins over Westminster (Pa.), Franklin, and Waynesburg.
Earlham women's lacrosse heads to Angola, Ind., on Saturday, March 2, to face Trine University. Game time at Fred Zollner Athletic Stadium is slated for 1:00 p.m.